Driving licence category T
The "big" tractor driver's license
Agricultural structures have changed considerably in recent years. Small farms are taken over by large farms, special work is transferred to contractors. This is why larger agricultural implements and faster tractors are used today. In order to be able to drive them, the category T was created.
General information about the T-driving licence
- Minimum age: 16 years for agricultural and forestry tractors up to 40 km/h and from 18 years of age up to 60 km/h. You can take the theory exam 3 months before your birthday, the practical exam 1 month before your 16th or 18th birthday.
- Limitation: The driving licence for category T is of unlimited duration and does not need to be renewed.
- Examinations: For the T-driving licence you must pass a successful theory and practice exam.
All about driving licence category T training
For the T category driver's license, you must attend theory lessons consisting of basic and additional material. The basic substance contains the general test substance which is valid for all driving licence categories. The additive includes the special requirements of the respective vehicle category.
For the basic material of category T, you must attend a total of 12 theory lessons (6 if you already have another driving licence) of 90 minutes each in order to be admitted to the theory examination. For the additive you must have attended at least 6 double lessons of 90 minutes each.
In the case of driving licence category T, there is no prescribed number of driving lessons that you must complete, as is the case with other driving licence categories. Only your ability and the agreement of your driving instructor are decisive when you are ready for the exam.
I'm allowed to ride that with category T
- Tractors for agriculture and forestry, up to 40 km/h (from 16 to 18 years) or up to 60 km/h (over 18 years) depending on their construction.
- Self-propelled working machines or self-propelled fodder mixing wagons for agriculture and forestry, depending on design up to max. 40 km/h; one trailer may be carried, e.g. combine harvester, potato harvester, all types of harvesters, beet harvesters, excavators and caterpillars.
- Tractors, also with two trailers without or subject to registration; combination max. 40 t permissible total mass.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are you allowed to drive tractors without a driver's license?
Usually not, but there are exceptions! All requirements must be met:
- On private properties where there is no public transport. The permission of the landowner is required.
- The tractor must have a maximum speed of 6 km/h.
- The tractor must not be throttled in order to achieve the appropriate maximum speed.
- The driver must be at least 15 years old.
Can I get a tractor driver's license at the age of 15?
It is possible with a special permit, but it is only granted in exceptional cases. If the parents of the prospective driver have a farm and are no longer able to work without help due to illness, for example, you can apply for a special permit from the age of 15 at the driving licence office. It is also possible that an MPE is required before a special permit is issued. But you have to pay for the costs of the MPE yourself.
Find your tractor driving school
The little tractors aren't enough for you? You want it bigger and faster? Then use our search function to find out more about tractor driving schools and the T driving test in your area.