Extension of the probationary period
Those who do not adhere to the rules in road traffic are threatened with an extended probationary period of four instead of two years.
However, the probationary period is not extended for every traffic offence. That always depends on the gravity of the offence.
How do I know how serious my violation was?
In order to get a better overview of the seriousness of the offences, they were divided into A offences (serious) and B offences (less serious).
Examples of A violations
- disregard of right of way
- Self-inflicted accident during the probationary period
- Speed overruns by 20 km/h or more
- Infringements at pedestrian crossings
- Driving without an accompanying person with a driving licence from 17
Examples of B violations
- Failure to observe a stop sign
- Driving without light in case of considerable visual obstruction (e.g. fog)
- Telephoning at the wheel with a mobile phone without a suitable hands-free device
- Vehicle not secured when left lying down
- Vehicle equipment not adapted to weather conditions (e.g. no winter tyres in December)
What are the consequences of such an infringement?
One A infringement or at least two B infringements lead to fines, points and participation in an extension seminar in addition to the extended probationary period of four years.
You can find more A offences in the catalogue of fines.
If you still violate the road traffic regulations and endanger other road users despite the advanced seminar and extended probationary period, you are in danger of losing your driving license.
An extended probationary period due to traffic violations sounds logical, but is there also a shortened probationary period?
The answer to this question is: No. Since the end of 2010, there has been no possibility of shortening the probationary period through voluntary further training seminars.
According to the law, every novice driver must undergo a one-off probationary period of at least two years.
Find your driving school
Don't let it even come to violations in the probationary period! Find your quality driving school now and choose a driving education that optimally prepares you for your probationary period on the road.