Driving licence category D
The "big" bus driving licence
The category D driving licence is the transfer from the ''small'' bus (class D1) to the ''big'' bus driving licence. With it, you can carry more than 8 passengers. A trailer may be carried provided that it does not exceed the maximum authorised mass of 750 kg. In addition to the car driving licence (category B), this requires special proof of physical fitness and resilience in the form of an occupational physician's report or a medical-psychological examination. You will also need proof of your eyesight, which can be issued by occupational physicians, among others. In addition to the driving licence, bus drivers who transport people commercially have to comply with the requirements of the Professional Drivers' Qualification Act since 10.09.2008.
General information on the D driving licence
- Minimum age: 18, 20, 21, 23, 24 years. The minimum age depends on your activity and qualification. You can take the theory exam 3 months before the minimum age, the practical exam 1 month before the minimum age. Previous possession: Driving licence class B
- Documents: Biometric passport photograph, identity card/passport, certificate of participation in the first aid course and proof of a personal aptitude test consisting of an examination of performance and a medical examination of eyesight.
- Limitation: The D driving licence is issued for five years. It can be extended for five years after the initial qualification if the relevant requirements are met. The visual report must not be older than two years and the medical report must not be older than one year.
- Examinations: For the D driving licence you have to pass a successful theory and practice exam.
- You automatically receive these driving licence categories with your D driving licence: D1
- You can drive that with a D licence: Vehicles (excluding categories AM, A1, A2 and A) for more than eight persons other than the driver. A trailer with a maximum permissible total weight of 750 kg may be towed.
All about the category D-Training
For the category D driving licence, you must attend theory lessons consisting of basic and additional material. The basic material includes the general examination material, which is valid for all driving licence categories. The additive contains the special requirements of the respective vehicle category.
For the basic material in category D, you must attend a total of 12 lessons of 90 minutes each, to be admitted to the theory examination. The basic material is reduced by six hours if you already have another driving licence. For the additive, you must have attended at least 18 lessons of 90 minutes each.
If you have problems with a certain topic, e.g. the right of way rules, you may, of course, listen to the material a second time in class. The hours mentioned above are the minimum prescribed hours.
During the driving lessons, you will familiarise yourself with your bus and the traffic regulations. How many of these driving lessons are required depends primarily on your learning progress. However, a minimum number of driving hours is required. Here one must differ according to your driving licence pre-possession in the following cases:
1. prior possession category B or C1 of fewer than 2 years: Here you need 45 driving lessons of 45 minutes each in the basic training as well as 22 overland drives, 14 motorway drives and 8 drives in the dark.
2. prior possession category B or C1 of more than 2 years: Here you need 33 driving lessons of 45 minutes each in the basic training as well as 12 overland trips, 8 motorway trips and 5 trips in the dark.
3. prior possession category C of fewer than 2 years: Here you need 14 driving lessons of 45 minutes each in the basic training as well as 16 overland trips, 8 motorway trips and 6 trips in the dark.
4. prior possession category C of more than 2 years: Here you need 7 driving lessons of 45 minutes each in the basic training as well as 8 overland trips, 4 motorway trips and 3 trips in the dark.
5. prior possession category D1: Here you need 20 driving lessons of 45 minutes each in the basic training as well as 5 overland trips, 5 motorway trips and 5 trips in the dark.
When you are ready for the exam, your driving instructor will let you know and give you valuable tips for your exam in the final lesson. Most of these cases, last about 70 minutes.
Tip: Have a look at your difficult spots from your test area in the Drivers Cam App.
Find your bus driving school
You would like to transport people and do it best in a "big" bus? Then look here for your driving school, where you can complete the training to become a category D driving licence.