- Minimum age: 20 years for ascent from A2, 24 years for direct purchase (21 years if driving licence is to be limited to trikes over 15 kW power).
You can take the theory test 3 months before your birthday, the practical test 1 month before your birthday.
- Documents: A vision test, first aid course and biometric passport photo.
- Term: none. However, the driving license is only valid for 15 years. After this time, you have to apply for a new document which is valid for another 15 years.
- Exams: For an A-driving license you have to complete a theory- and practical exam if you enter directly. If you already have an A2 driving licence, you only have to take a practical test.
- You automatically receive these driving licence categories with the A driving licence: AM, A1 and A2
- You are allowed to drive this with your A driving licence: Motorcycle with a cubic capacity of more than 50 kW and a maximum design speed of more than 45 km/h. In addition, you may drive three-wheeled motor vehicles (e.g. trikes) with an output of more than 15 kW.
- Special feature: If you already possess your driving licence of category A2 for two years, you can be promoted to category A (“large“ motorcycles) without a theoretical examination, but with a practical examination. Then you are allowed to ride all motorcycles without any power restrictions. Nevertheless, you should not exaggerate it immediately, but first a few practice rounds with your unthrottled motorcycle turn.
In your motorcycle lessons, you will familiarize yourself with your machine and the traffic regulations. It is, of course, important whether you have already gained experience in motorcycling.
Similar to category A2, there are several scenarios here too.
Category A in a direct entry
You have neither category A1, nor category A2, so you have to do category A in a direct entry. In addition to the normal practice hours, the law stipulates a certain number of special rides which you must complete to be admitted to the examination. You have to do 5 driving lessons on federal or country roads, 4 driving lessons on highways and 3 driving lessons at dusk or in the dark.
Pre-owned category A1
You already have category A1 or category A2, but not yet two years. Now you have to do a reduced number of special trips in addition to the normal practice hours. Specifically, this would be 3 driving hours on federal or country roads, 2 driving hours on the highway and one driving hour at dusk or in the dark.
Category A2 - for at least 2 years
You have category A2 and have had this already for at least two years. Now you don't have to do any special rides apart from the normal practice lessons.
When you are ready for the exam, your driving instructor will let you know and give you valuable tips for your exam in the final hour. Have a look at your difficult spots from your test area in the Drivers Cam App.