The passenger transport certificate

In Germany, the carriage of persons is subject to certain regulations. Privately, you can transport as many people in the vehicle as are legally permitted, but other regulations apply to the commercial sector.

If you transport up to eight people commercially, whether as an employee of a company or as a self-employed person, you will need a passenger transport licence in addition to your normal driving licence (class B), also known as a passenger transport licence.

A driver's license for passenger transport is required whenever passenger transport is not free and in the private sector.

When is it needed?

A driving licence for passenger transport is required whenever passenger transport is not free and in the private sector.

A passenger transport ticket is therefore required:

  • who works as an employed or freelance rental car driver for a salary or fee,
  • who drives a cab,
  • who drives a car in excursion traffic (commercial),
  • who drives a passenger car on regular services,
  • who carries persons within the framework of his voluntary service,
  • who wants to work as an ambulance driver,
  • who would like to be active in the pupil traffic,
  • or who would like to carry out the promotion of handicapped people.

With the passenger transport permit, you may carry up to eight persons in addition to yourself as a driver. For journeys with more than nine persons plus the driver, you do not need a passenger transport licence, but depending on the number of persons the driving licence categories D or D1.

Important Info

  • Valid identity card/passport
  • Driving licence in EU card format
  • Police clearance certificate
  • Excerpt from the central traffic register
  • Local knowledge certificate (exception: ambulance transport and rental car for places with less than 50,000 inhabitants)
  • Certificate of eyesight
  • Certificate of suitability not older than one year
  • Psychological performance assessment that serves to test concentration, orientation and reaction skills.

The passenger transport ticket is valid for five years, up to a maximum of 60 years of age. From the age of 60, a performance test must also be carried out for the passenger transport certificate to establish whether the special requirements of such a driver's activity in passenger transport can actually be met.

The following documents are required if the driving licence for passenger transport is to be extended:

  • Valid identity card/passport
  • Driving licence
  • Previous passenger transport document
  • Result of the examination of visual acuity
  • Medical aptitude certificate
  • Certificate of good conduct
  • Excerpt from the central traffic register

The following costs arise for the driving licence for passenger transport:

  • Application and processing
  • Certificate of good conduct
  • Ophthalmological examination
  • Medical aptitude certificate
  • From the age of 60 for the performance psychological report

Depending on the authority, the costs for the above points may vary.

In the driving lessons you learn what you need for driving later and gain confidence for the test.

Find your driving school

You want to get a so-called special driving licence, but don't know where yet? Then take a look at our search, find driving schools in your area and find out about the special driving licences offered there.