The general inspection

The entry in the registration certificate Part I (vehicle registration document) and the test sticker on the rear registration plate tell you when the next main inspection is due. In the course of this examination your car will be tested for road safety and the exhaust emission values of your car will also be measured.

With your vehicle you have to go to the main inspection (HU) at regular intervals.
With your vehicle you have to go to the main inspection (HU) at regular intervals.

Frequently asked questions about the main inspection

On the inspection sticker, the inner circle indicates the year, the vertical number above the year indicates the month. The black marking is only a reading aid. The specified date must also be observed for vehicles that are temporarily parked (e.g. caravans).

New vehicles (passenger cars, trailers up to 750 kg zG or without their own brakes and motorhomes up to 3.5 t zG) must undergo a main inspection for the first time after 3 years.

Every 2 years  for the main inspection, cars, motorcycles, trucks and tractors up to 3.5 t zG or 40 km/h bbH, trailers (up to 3.5 t zG), mobile homes (up to 3.5 t zG as well as over 3.5 t zG and up to 7.5 t zG in the first 6 years) must be inspected.

Every year, trucks, trailers and motorhomes over 3.5 t zG must undergo a general inspection.

There are some points you should check on your vehicle before you go through the examination. These include, for example, the lighting, the tyres (keyword tread depth) or the brakes. There is a checklist on TÜV Süd's website with all the points you should check in advance.

Basically, if you notice any abnormality in your vehicle, it is better to go to the workshop first and then to the HU. If you have to go to the inspection anyway, you should always make this appointment before the date of the main inspection.

In Germany, the main inspection is carried out by state-recognised inspection organisations. These include for example DEKRA, TÜV Süd, TÜV Nord, TÜV Rheinland, TÜV Thüringen, TÜV Hanse, TÜV Hessen, TÜV Saarland, GTÜ or KÜS.

The registration certificate, Part I (vehicle registration document) and any existing cultivation confirmations or general operating permits are required.

If defects are found during the main inspection, the expert will not issue you with a sticker. You must then have the defect rectified within one month and have the vehicle checked again. Fees will be due again, but not in full. If you don't come within the month, you have to pay the full price for the new check.

Driving school sign on car roof

Find your driving school

But before you start looking for your first own car, you can first search for the perfect driving school that will make you fit for traffic.