Vehicle documents

Registration Certificates Part I and II

As a driver in Germany, you must be able to produce certain documents upon request. With them you show that you are entitled to drive the vehicle and that the vehicle is legally registered. Here you can find out which vehicle papers there are and which you must always have with you on the way.

Before you can drive your new car with your driver's license, you have to take it on board.
Before you can drive your new car with your driver's license, you have to take it on board.

Registration certificate Part I

The vehicle registration

The registration certificate Part I, also called vehicle registration document, is issued by the registration office. It is identical in content to the registration certificate Part II, the vehicle registration document. It also contains the due date of the next general inspection. The field names are given as EU codes and are explained on the back. The following information, for example, conceals the following:

  • Code 5: Vehicle category
  • Code 7.1-7.3: Permissible axle load in kg
  • Code 18: Vehicle length
  • Code 19: Vehicle width (Attention: The exterior mirrors make your vehicle wider than indicated in the papers.)
  • Code 20: Vehicle height
  • Code F.1: Maximum permissible laden mass
  • Code G: Empty mass
  • Code P.1: Engine displacement
  • Code P.2/P.4: Nominal power in kW/kg (motorcycles only)
  • Code Q: Power-to-weight ratio in kW/kg (motorcycles only)
  • Code S.1: Seats including driver's seat
  • Code T: Maximum speed in km/h

You must have the registration certificate Part I (or the vehicle registration document) with you when driving and show it to the persons responsible on request.

Like your driver's license, you must always have your vehicle registration with you.
[Translate to English:] Den Fahrzeugschein musst du wie deinen Führerschein immer dabei haben.

Registration Certificate Part II

The registration document

The registration certificate Part II is issued for all motor vehicles subject to registration. It is regarded as proof of type approval and is required for approval or decommissioning. The registration certificate Part II is issued by the dealer or previous owner when the vehicle is purchased. It contains:

  • Important vehicle data such as displacement, engine power, dimensions, weights, number of axles and seats.
  • The name of the owner and, if applicable, of the previous owner.
  • Information concerning the decommissioning and re-registration of the vehicle
  • Entries concerning technical modifications to the vehicle

You do not have to carry the registration certificate part II with you when driving. Since it's considered a deed, you shouldn't keep it in the car either.

Driving school sign on car roof

Find your driving school

But before you start looking for your first own car, you can first search for the perfect driving school that will make you fit for traffic.