- Minimum age: 21 years, or 18 years for persons during or after "specific" vocational training. You can take the theory exam three months before your birthday, the practical exam one month before your birthday.
- Pre-ownership: Driving licence category B
- Documents: Biometric passport photo, identity card/passport, certificate of participation in first aid course and proof of a personal aptitude test consisting of: an examination of performance, a medical examination and an examination of vision (see below for details).
- Limitation: The D1 driving licence is issued for five years. It can be extended for five years after the initial qualification if the relevant requirements are met. In the case of an extension beyond the age of 50, a new aptitude test must be taken.
- Examinations: For the D1 driving licence you must pass a successful theory and practice test.
During the driving lessons, you will familiarise yourself with your bus and the traffic regulations. How many of these driving lessons are required depends primarily on your learning progress. However, a minimum number of driving hours is required. Here one must differ according to your driver's license-pre-ownership in the following cases:
1. Prior possession category B or C1 of fewer than 2 years: Here you need 41 driving lessons of 45 minutes each in the basic training as well as 19 overland trips, 12 motorway trips and 7 trips in the dark.
2. Prior possession category B or C1 of more than 2 years: Here you need 16 driving lessons of 45 minutes each in the basic training as well as 8 overland trips, 4 motorway trips and 4 trips in the dark.
3. prior possession category C of fewer than 2 years: Here you need 8 driving lessons of 45 minutes each in the basic training as well as 8 overland trips, 4 motorway trips and 4 trips in the dark.
4. prior possession category C of more than 2 years: Here you need 6 driving lessons of 45 minutes each in the basic training as well as 4 overland trips, 2 motorway trips and 2 trips in the dark.
When you are ready for the exam, your driving instructor will let you know and give you valuable tips for your exam in the final lesson. In most cases, this takes about 70 minutes.
Tip: Have a look at your difficult spots from your test area in the Drivers Cam App.
Find your bus driving school
You want to carry up to 16 passengers and ideally already have a normal driving licence? Perfect, then look here directly for a driving school in your area that offers a D1 education.