Driving licence category A2
The motorcycle driving licence to build up
The A2 category driving license is based on the A1 category driving license and is thus the medium of the three motorcycle licenses. With the step-by-step construction, one wants to give young people the opportunity, to make the motorcycle license early and to slowly increase the performance of the vehicle according to the riding routine. This means that at the age of 16 you can take the small motorcycle license (A1) (11 kW) after two years change to a more powerful machine with A2 (35 kW) and after another 2 years make your unlimited A-license (more than 35 kW).
Find your motorcycle driving school
Do you already have an A1 driving licence or would you like to enter A2 directly? Then discover your motorcycle driving school in our search and complete the second stage of motorcycle driving licenses.
General information on driving licence category A2
- Minimum age: 18 years. You can take the theory test 3 months before your birthday, the practical test 1 month before your birthday.
- Documents: A vision test, first aid course and biometric passport photo.
- Time limit: none. However, the driving license is only valid for 15 years. After this time, you have to apply for a new document, which will be valid for another 15 years.
- Prüfungen: For the A2-driving licence direct entry you must file a successful theory and practice test. If you already have the A1 driving licence, all you have to do is take a practical test.
- You automatically get these driving licence categories with the A2-Führerschein: AM and A1
- You may drive this with the A2 driving licence: Motorcycles with a power of at most 35 kW, which is not derived from a motorcycle with a power of over 70 kW. The power/weight ratio must not exceed 0.2 kW/kg.
- Special feature: The A2 driving licence is the second level of motorcycle driving licence, as it is based on the A1 driving licence. The next higher level is the A driving licence, which you can obtain after another two years. The purpose of the levels is that you slowly climb up and cautiously fantasize about the higher engine power.
Theory must be differentiated: If you already have the driving licence for Category A1, you don't have to attend theory lessons again and just take your theory exam.
When entering category A2 directly, the situation is different. Here you have to attend the theory lessons consisting of basic and additive material as in category A1. The basic material contains the general test material, which is valid for all driving licence categories. The additive contains the special requirements of the respective vehicle category.
For the basic substance in Category A2, you must visit a total of 12 lessons for 90 minutes to be admitted to the theory test. You must also have attended at least 4 lessons of 90 minutes for the additive.
The following applies: If you have problems with a certain topic, e.g. the right of way rules, you can, of course, also listen to the material a second time in class. The hours mentioned above are the minimum prescribed hours.
In your motorcycle riding lessons, you will familiarize yourself with your machine and traffic regulations. It is, of course, important whether you have already gained experience in motorcycling.
There are three different scenarios:
The first scenario - you don't have a driving license category A1 yet, so you do category A2 in a direct entry.
In addition to the normal hours of practice, the law obtains a certain number of special rides, which you must complete to be admitted to the test. You must take 5 driving lessons on federal or country roads, 4 driving lessons on highways and 3 driving lessons in darkness or dusk.
The second scenario – you already have category A1, but not for two years.
Now you have to do a reduced number of special rides in addition to the normal rides. In concrete terms, this would mean 3 driving hours on federal or country roads, 2 driving hours on the highway and one driving hour at night.
Third scenario – you have had category A1 for at least two years.
Now you don't have to do any special rides beside the normal rides.
When you are ready for the test, your instructor will let you know and give you valuable tips for your test drive in a final lesson. Have a look at your difficult places from your test area in the Drivers Cam App.