In Germany, over 50 million people hold a category B driving licence, also known as a "car driving licence". In order to obtain it, you must take a theoretical and a practical exam. Everything you need to know and the most important information can be found here!
- Minimum age: 17 years at Accompanied driving from 17 (BF17). 18 years for direct purchase. You can take the theory test 3 months before your birthday, the practical test 1 month before your birthday.
- Documentation: Vision test, first aid course and biometric passport photo
- Time limit: none. However, the passport is only valid for 15 years. At the latest then you have to apply for a new document, which will be valid for 15 years.
- Prüfungen: Für den B-Für den B-Führerschein you must file a successful theory and practice test .
- I am allowed to drive this with my B-driving licence: motor vehicles, except motor vehicles of categories A1, A2 and A, with a permissible total weight (zG) of max. 3,500 kg and max. 8 persons except driver
- These driver's license categories are automatically assigned to you with the B-driver's license: AM and L
- Trailer regulation: Trailers with a zG of max. 750 kg are always permitted. Trailers with a zG over 750 kg are permitted if the zG of the vehicle combination is max. 3,500 kg.
- Special feature: If you are not yet of full age at registration, your parents must agree to the training (signature on training contract).
- Other special features: Three-wheel-drive motor vehicles (trikes) may be driven domestically, but only from the age of 21 onward over 15 kW.
Yes, it is. The category B driving licence shall include the scooter driving licence (AM). So you are allowed to drive scooters up to max. 50 ccm and a maximum speed of 45 km/h.
Actually, the BF17 certificate is only valid in Germany, so you are only allowed to drive in Germany with the certificate. But the regulation has been loosened a bit, so that you are now allowed to travel in Austria as well. However, please ask your car insurance company to confirm this in advance. Further information about BF17 can be found here.
I'm afraid there's no general way of saying that. The cost of a driver's license depends on many factors, e.g. you pass the exams right away, how many driving hours do you need. They are therefore individually very different and cannot be easily compared. We therefore advise you not to be tempted by supposedly low prices. Instead, try to find out whether the quality of the driving training fits. Because a high training quality means that you get your driver's license quickly and cheaply. Because failures can quickly become expensive. You can find extensive information about costs here.
Find your driving school
You don't want to be dependent any longer and finally get behind the wheel yourself? Then discover your driving school in our search and get your driver's license near you.