In Germany, over 50 million people hold a category B driving licence, also known as a "car driving licence". In order to obtain it, you must take a theoretical and a practical exam. Everything you need to know and the most important information can be found here!
- Minimum age: 17 years at Accompanied driving from 17 (BF17). 18 years for direct purchase. You can take the theory test 3 months before your birthday, the practical test 1 month before your birthday.
- Documentation: Vision test, first aid course and biometric passport photo.
- Time limit: none. However, the licence is only valid for 15 years. After that you have to apply for a new document, which will be valid for another 15 years.
- Examinations: For your category B driving licence you must successfully complete a theory and practice test .
- I am allowed to drive this with my B driving licence: motor vehicles, except motor vehicles of categories A1, A2 and A, with a permissible total weight of max. 3,500 kg and max. 8 persons except driver.
- These driving license categories are automatically assigned to you with the B driving license: AM and L
- Trailer regulation: Trailers with a total weight of max. 750 kg are always permitted. Trailers with a total weight over 750 kg are permitted if the total weight of the vehicle combination is max. 3,500 kg.
- Special feature: If you are not yet of full age at registration, your parents must agree to the training (signature on training contract).
- Other special features: Three-wheel-drive motor vehicles (trikes) may be driven domestically, but only from the age of 21 onward over 15 kW.
Yes, it is. The category B driving licence shall include the scooter driver's licence (AM). So you are allowed to drive scooters up to max. 50 ccm and a maximum speed of 45 km/h.
Actually, the BF17 certificate is only valid in Germany. So only in Germany, you are allowed to drive with this certificate. But the regulation has been loosened a bit so that you are now allowed to travel in Austria as well. However, please ask your car insurance company to confirm this in advance. Further information about BF17 can be found here.
I'm afraid there's no general way of saying that. The cost of a driving license depends on many factors, e.g. if you pass the exams right away, how many driving hours do you need. They are therefore individually very different and cannot be easily compared. We, therefore, advise you not to be tempted by supposedly low prices. Instead, try to find out whether the quality of the driving training fits. Because a high training quality means that you get your driver's license quickly and cheaply. Failures can quickly become expensive. You can find extensive information about costs here.
Find your driving school
You don't want to be dependent any longer and finally get behind the wheel yourself? Then discover your driving school in our search and get your driving license near you.