Driving licence category C
The license for the really big trucks
The truck is one of the most important means of transport. For this reason, the demand for professional drivers remains very high. However, if the C1 driving licence is not sufficient for you and you want to drive vehicles without the upper limit of 7,500 kg, you must complete a category C driving licence training course.
Here, as well, the prior possession of a B driving licence is a mandatory requirement. The advantage: When you take the C driving licence, you automatically receive the C1 licence. You can find further important information about training on this page.
General information on the C driving licence
- Minimum age: You must be at least 21 years of age to drive a category C vehicle. However, it can be reduced to 18 by some state-recognised training occupations. These include professional drivers, specialists in driving operations, road maintenance personnel, plant firefighters.
- Documents: A valid identity card or passport, biometric passport photo, possibly first aid course, ophthalmological certificate, medical certificate of physical and mental aptitude are required.
- Limitation: All "truck categories" are only granted for 5 years. For renewal, a new medical and ophthalmological certificate must be presented.
- Examinations: In spite of a B driving licence, a theory examination and a practical examination must be taken for category C again.
- This is what you get to drive on a C license: motor vehicles, with the exception of categories, AM, A1, A2, A, D1 and D over 3,500 kg but not exceeding 7,500 kg and registered for not more than 8 persons plus driver.
All you need to know about training for the C driving licence
In general, 6 lessons of 90 of basic material and 10 lessons of class-specific additive of 90 minutes each are planned for the theory lessons. The number of obligatory lessons for the additive is only 4 with an existing C1/D1 category driving licence and only 2 with an existing D category driving licence.
In the theoretical test for the Category C driving licence, 37 questions must be answered, with a maximum of 10 error points. In this exam, the wrong answering of at least 2 questions with 5 error points each also leads to automatic non-existence. The examination usually lasts 45 minutes.
The basic training (practice drives) depends on the individual abilities and learning progress of the learner. A general statement about the number cannot be made. However, the following special drives are also mandatory for the Category C driving licence:
- Category B pre-ownership: 5x overland tour, 2x highway tour, 3x night tour
- Category C1 pre-ownership:3x overland tour, 1x highway tour, 1x night tour
- C and CE together: 8x overland drive, 3x highway drive, 3x night drive
Find your truck driving school
You don't mind if it's heavier, do you? No problem - because in our search you will find driving schools in your area that offer training for the C driving licence.